Tuesday, December 23, 2014

What I've Been Up To This Week: Christmas Edition

 
Some of the holiday décor at Marketplace Restaurant
 
This past week, after countless days working overtime, I finally had a few days off to enjoy a couple local restaurants and festive events. The first evening a friend and I went out to dinner at one of my favorite restaurants in Louisville and then went to a Christmas party. The next night we went to dinner and a play. Needless to say I really got into the holiday spirit. I enjoyed dressing up to go out because there just doesn't seem to be many swanky Christmas soirée's these days thanks to the more casual ugly sweater parties.  

Our first evening began with a fabulous dinner at Marketplace Restaurant on 4th Street followed by a quick and cold walk over to The Brennan House for Yelp's Christmas Party. Dinner started out with a light and fresh Proseccotini cocktail and Salmon Croquettes. The greens and cabbage were just as good as the croquettes. Really, I could have had a dish full of the greens and been perfectly happy.
 
Proseccotini Cocktail with Prosecco, St. Germaine and fresh orange and
Salmon Croquettes Appetizer with greens, red cabbage "slaw" and sriracha aioli
 
My taste buds were elevated to another level with dinner. Sadly, my camera did not have time to take a picture before the dish disappeared. I got the sea scallops with roasted root vegetables, local mushrooms, sriracha aioli and almonds and my friend got the Fried Chicken (marinated in Franks Hot Sauce) with potatoes and greens and a chipotle honey sauce with red cabbage "slaw". We decided to go for something light for dessert and chose the Chocolate Mousse. The "candied" pecans, chocolate pearl crisps and strawberries gave the mousse extra texture and flavor. Mascarpone added creaminess and sustenance. 
 
Chocolate Mousse with Mascarpone for dessert
 
After Dinner we strolled over to The Brennan Historic Home and Gardens for Yelp Elite Squad's A Dickens of a Christmas event. From the moment I walked in the door of this beautiful historic home I was greeted with Christmas carols and holiday cheer. The house is ran by Preservation Louisville. An interesting fact, the Brennan's had eight children and none of them had children to leave the 1886 home to, so all the furnishing and décor are original to the family.
 
Posing on the stairs
 
Along with the original furnishings, select items of clothing are displayed throughout the upstairs bedrooms. You get the feeling the family could walk through the door and go on with their lives as if time had never passed. They would be shocked to look outside and see the "modern" buildings surrounding the house, including a parking garage, instead of the once stately street. Why people think it is ok to tear down historic homes instead of caring for them I will never understand. 
 
Two dresses displayed in the Brennan House
 
I loved all the vanity items. Besides clothes, shoes, bags, hats and jewelry I can't think of anything I like better than pretty vanity items to glam up a lady's special area to get ready.
 
Assortment of vanity items and another dress
 
A beautiful, and unexpected, purple chandelier tops off the library full of books that I was aching to open. My dream is to have a library in my home one day!
 
In the library. Wearing a skirt(here) and necklace (similar here) from Modcloth,
bodysuit from Forever 21 (similar here) and shoes from ASOS (similar here).
 
 
 
The next night we went out to eat and to a play. For diner we went to Down One Bourbon Bar and Restaurant. I ordered a new cocktail on the menu call Machismo because it had Rivulet Peacan Liqueur and chocolate bitters as two of the ingredients. This was a perfect holiday drink. We got the shrimp and pineapple skewer for an appetizer and blackened chicken with kale and jalapeño cheese grits for our entrée. 
 
Machismo Cocktail at Down One Bourbon Bar & Restaurant
 
After dinner we headed across the street to Actors Theatre of Louisville to grab some wine and see Fifth Third Bank's production of A Christmas Carol. 
 
Christmas tree at Actors Theatre of Louisville
 
Along with a huge Christmas tree there were four harpists playing Christmas music to make sure any remaining Scrooge was feeling the Christmas spirit. 
 
Harpists playing Christmas music
 
Our seats were on the balcony in the front row so we had a perfect view, although all the seats at Actors Theatre are great. I liked how my dress matched the program so I had to snap a picture. 
 
Waiting for A Christmas Carol to start
 
Below is a picture of the set before the show. The play was very entertaining and I enjoyed spotting a few actors from Dracula. My favorite character was The Ghost of Christmas Past. I couldn't stop watching her aerial acrobatics skills while she was on stage. While A Christmas Carol is at an end go online and check out the next play. You can even purchase season tickets. 
 
View of the set from the balcony
 
 
 
I wore a vintage 60s dress from the Nitty Gritty. The fabric's pattern and color is really pretty (pictured above). Below is the best picture I could find. Can I just say, I need a small new camera for my outings or I need to lug out my larger Canon! The camera on my phone takes horrible pictures.
 
Wearing a vintage 60s dress from the Nitty Gritty
 
What did you do during the holidays this year? Like, subscribe and comment below. Merry Christmas!



No comments:

Post a Comment